Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

I have a Chamberlain garage door opener model WD962KLD. Sometimes

I have a Chamberlain garage door opener model WD962KLD. Sometimes the garage door will not go down untill you hold the control console button or the keyless entry button until it closes. It doesn't do this every day.
I have tried everything the book says to do.
[email protected]
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

The symptom you are describing is indicative of a failure in your safety sensor circuit. When the safety sensor circuit is malfunctioning, the door will open as normal with the remotes, keypad (if you have one) and wall buttons however, will not close with the remotes or keypad and will only close by keeping constant pressure on the wall button.

The problem is likely going to be one of the following:

A. The safety sensors are dirty. - Wipe lenses with soapy water and a clean soft cloth

B. The safety sensors are misaligned (This is the most likely problem and the most common issue with Garage Door openers). - Follow the safety sensor alignment instructions in your owner's manual. If you do not have a copy of your owner's manual you may download a .pdf copy to store on youe commputer here:

http://www.chamberlain.com/CatalogResourcesV3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/114a3282.pdf

C. There is a broken or disconnected wire between the motor and the safety sensors. - Carefully follow the wire path and do a visual inspection to ensure a continuous connection.

D. You have a defective sensor which requires replacement.

E. In rarer cases still, if all of the above has been attempted yet the problem persists, then there has likely been a failure in the logic board which would then mandate it's replacement.