Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright , We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

wish to remove a brick chimney below roof level it has been

wish to remove a brick chimney below roof level it has been eartthquake damaged my family are concerned that I have been advised only to take it below roof level and not to the floor. It was inspected by engineers and they advised that it was only necessary to take below roof level the rest was safe and that they put some sort of cape on top;
my family feel I should have the top covered with a sheet of iron in line with rest of roof to put their mind at rest could you advise if there is any regulations on earthquake chimney removals , that I can advise them to look up and put their mind at rest.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

There are no regulations regarding the removal of a chimney of which I am aware or have been able to find.

You need to take it low enough below the roof to allow you room to accomplish two things.

A. You need enough room to work to structurally build any of the roof joists or trusses back which were cut out or not designed in to start with, so that you can re-sheath the roof and then tile or shingle. All to accomplish patching the hole in the roof in a structurally sound manner. For this work however, in 95% of the country, you will need a building permit to do legally.

B. It needs to be low enough to get a cap on it. A partial sheet of 1/2 cement backer board mortared in place is an acceptable cap that will never rot or be eaten by termites.

Also make sure that you do somthing with the fireplace opening below so that EVERYONE forever more, understands that this is NOT a working fireplace. You do not want house guests, or future tenants or future owners trying to start a fire in there.