Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

I got a mold test kit from Lowes (Pro-Lab). Instructions dont

I got a mold test kit from Lowes (Pro-Lab). Instructions don't say, but should I tape the perimeter of the petri dish after collecting the samples? Or just let the lid lay on the base (they fit together but very loosely).
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

If you bought the "Pro-Lab" mold test kit from Lowes. Here is what the instructions say

LAB RESULTS DIRECTIONS
Special Note: To insure that the sample stays intact during shipping, please place tape (electrical) around the edge of the petri dish and place back in the original zip-lock bag.

Here is a link to the complete instruction sheet.

http://www.prolabinc.com/instructions/mold.html

If you did not by a kit made and serviced by Pro-Lab, The sample security instructions should still hold true.

Yes, tape it before transporting, shipping or mailing!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I read that in the instructions, but do I tape it during the time it's sitting waiting for mold to grow (24-96 hrs). If it shows growth, then it says to tape it and ship it. I assumed no reading the instructions, but sites like this http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Bacteria-Growing-Experiments-in-Petri-Dishes-W54C659.aspx
says to tape it (but for bacteria, not specifically mold).

This site also says to store them upside down and in 100deg F in a dark place. The mold kit just says room temp.

Pro-Lab has calculated all of their base-lines and median identifiers to be read assuming you do it exactly the way the instructions say to do it ie: room temp etc.

It certainly would not hurt anything to tape the dish while it grows however, you do not need to.