Barry G.
Barry G. , Handyman
Experience:  I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.
11179659

I was attempting to remove my baking element from my oven and

I was attempting to remove my baking element from my oven and forgot to cut the power first. I thought it would simply unhook like the top elements would and pull out, but I was unaware that wires were attatched to it. As I was pulling it out, a few bursts of sparks shot out followed by some smoke. I quickly cut the power and unplugged the oven but Im not sure if I just put the element back in if it will be ok or not? I need some help please!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look behind the drawer or door of the oven and see if you can find the model number. I need to model number to see if I have a wiring diagram for it, that way I can see exactly what that oven element connects to.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Barry,

Its a MayTag appliance with a model number of CER3520AAH
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
That worked, give me a few minutes to look at it.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you.

Kyle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kyle, I have done that, don't feel bad.

I do not see anything dangerous, if the wire ends will connnect to the element go ahead and reinstall it. Now here is the bad part. Those wires connect to the clock, it may have blown the clock. But try it and see, its either going to work or not going to work. Take your time, I am here all day. Please let me know. If the clock does not work I can get you a part number and if it does work and the oven works then I will send the accept button.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Barry. I'll go ahead and put the element back in the oven. Ironically enough, the clock didnt work before, but the other digital parts did like bake time, temp. ect. I'll plug the oven back in and turn it on and let you know in a moment.

Kyle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome, there is nothing between that element and the clock so anything thats wrong will be internal to the clock. Meaning it will be safe to turn on.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Barry. I just plugged everything back in and turned the breaker back on and nothing on the oven seems to be working. No oven light, nothing digitally up top. Seems to be void of any power whatsoever.

Kyle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me look Kyle and see if I missed something, I only looked from the element to the clock, this will take me a few minutes.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Take your time, I'll be right here. Thank you.

Kyle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
When that arced, did it arc for a long time or just a second? If it was a few seconds it may have burned a wire at the terminal block where the cord connects. So you will want to check that and if you see nothing there the clock blew. The lights and everything else wires to that clock except the stove top, does that still work?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Barry. Seems my breaker was just being fidgety and it needed to be pushed over more. The oven is working fine now. Light is back on and all the displays are working. Dont worry about the part for the clock, been fine without it thus far. You can go ahead and hit submit. Thank you for your help!

Kyle
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Great thats good news, you have a super nice Sunday.

Thank you for the opportunity and please return the next time you have an appliance problem or question.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Kyle,
It's been a few days since you asked about your oven element, and I'm writing to follow up. If you get time drop by the site and post a followup to let me know how its working. And remember, if you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!

Thank you,
Barry