Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

I have a Centurion safe that wont open? Standard combination

Customer Question

I have a Centurion safe that won't open? Standard combination lock. Worked 2 weeks ago but had to jiggle it a little. Now it won't open. Model # #1382 H248

4 number dial style lock. No handle
It has worked well for 25 years.
I have tried reopening it numerous times but is seems like the lock bolt maybe stuck.

Any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

OK, You have a mid 1980's Centurion... It seems like the safes we see that are 100 years old just seem to work forever and ever. We are however, seeing more and more of these 1/4 century old Centurions with similar problems. I'm going to advise you that your safe is just old. Perhaps seemingly prematurely so but nevertheless, the guts are wearing out. Tumblers wear. Micro tolerances gap causing jambing.

You need to have it serviced. A thorough cleaning & adjustment or possibly a rebuild.

There are some good locksmiths out there for whom this will be a walk in the park. If however, you get a guy (or gal) out to look at your safe who is scratching their head and saying "well maybe..." or "Ida Know" . Move on the next tech who can look at it and say with confidence, "I can fix that"

In any event it's a 99% chance that the issue needs hands on which I simply can't provide via the internet! Maybe some day...? But not today...

Happy New Year

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was able to get it open myself and feel your response was of no help.

Just saying it's old and needs servicing doesn't warrant payment.

I understand perfectly! We don't expect you to accept our answers unles you are 100% satisfied. I'm glad you were able to get into your safe.
Keep in mind though that if you continue to experience difficulties with sticking, you will have to call locksmith.... I am fine with you not accepting my answer. Have a happy new year!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

Thanks for trying.

You are very welcome!