Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century

Looking for the year a "Delta Homecraft" band saw was made

Looking for the year a "Delta Homecraft" band saw was made and any other info ! Only numbers on it are : serial # XXXXX on name plate and # XXXXX in casting.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

You may already have this information however, I will give you a brief history on the Delta Home Craft line of tools. I also have two sources I will call in the morning who might be in a position to enlighten us on more of the specifics of your 10" Band Saw.

Delta has made woodworking tools and Equipment since the 1930s. They started off by making heavy duty industrial wood-working. In 1949 however, they started marketing a lighter homeowners version of their most popular industrial tools and named the line the "Homecraft Series of Power Tools". The Homecraft selection featured tools such as the 8" Tilting Arbor Table saw, the 4" jointer, the 10" band saw, the 16" Scroll Saw, and the Light Duty Shaper. The Homecraft series designed and built with the needs of the home workshop user. They were still durable and well made, but priced more within the reach of the average do-it-yourselfer. Delta's line of production tools were called the Delta-Milwaukee Machine Tools and were a heavier duty tool designed to stand up to constant use in manufacturing.

The 10" Homecraft Band Saw Model No. 28-110 was first introduced along with the Homecraft Power Tool line in 1949. This big 10" Homecraft Band Saw was for curved and straight line cutting.

The No. 28-110 Homecraft Band Saw has an unusually rugged frame cast in only two sections. The hollow cast upper arm prevents all springing and twisting of frame. The heavily ribbed, finish ground cast iron table measures 10" x 10" with a removable aluminum table insert which prevents damage to blades and provides support for work at all times. The table tilts 45 degrees for angle cutting, with accurately graduated scale showing the exact degree of tilt. A leveling stop screw is provided so that table can be quickly and accurately returned to level position.

The upper and lower guides are fully adjustable. Square steel pins are used as guides. The ball bearing blade support is adjustable independent of the blade guides. All mechanisms for adjusting the blade tension, for raising and lowering the upper blade support and guide, for tilting and locking the table and for setting the table square with the blade, are simple and foolproof.

The upper wheel runs on needle bearings while the lower wheel runs in two oil impregnated bronze bearings mounted in the base casting. Wheel tension and tracking adjustment is in handy position on the upper arm casting. The wheels and blade are completely guarded. Magnesium spoke wheels are used that are light in weight, accurately balanced and reduce flywheel action. The machine can be stopped quickly.

The cutting capacity under the guide is 6 1/2" and will take a full 6" cut in hardwood. This band saw is compact in design and takes up little space in your home workshop.

The wheel tension and Blade tracking adjustments are located on the upper arm casing. The blade guides and ball bearing blade supports are located both above and below table and are fully adjustable to different size or type blades. The blade guide and blade supports adjust independently, and all adjustments are easy to get at, safe and accurate.

The large 10" x 10" table, tilts a full 45 degrees to right. The trunnion is heavy and tilting actions is smooth. The handy scale at rear tells you the angle of tilt.

Complete protection is provided by front blade guard which adjusts up and down. The Delta Homecraft Band Saw will cut hard wood up to 6" thick and has a throat capacity of 9 5/8".

I will post some photos so you can tell me if they are the same as your saw.

Above Information courtesy of Old Woodworking Tools.

Experience: I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You for the info -- waiting to look at the "photos" !!

Does your saw look like this:

This is the Delt Homecraft Catalog Cut Shown with the optional Light attachment:

graphic

Or this? (This is the same saw but a more recent photo of one)

graphic