House-Doc
House-Doc, Handyman
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as gen. contractor/property maintenance.
9115273

What kind of mortar should I use to lay a shower pan?

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  House-Doc replied 4 years ago.

House-Doc :

Thanks for trusting me with your Home repair/improvement question. With over 20 years of experience I have the knowledge to help.

JACUSTOMER-h1qhib1b- :

I'm going to be re-installing a shower pan (correctly as the last person didn't and it caused mold). I wanted to know what I should use for the pan base itself. Using the quick pitch products to get the pitch right.

House-Doc :

A concrete mix should work fine. The higher the psi strength the better. It should be around 3,000 psi.

JACUSTOMER-h1qhib1b- :

Quikcrete? any difference? Should it be a sand mixture?

House-Doc :

Have you checked out the schlueter brand shower pans. They make an awesome product that is easy to install and with their shower system it makes for a water tight solution that will last for years.

House-Doc :

If you are using a premix like quickrete use sandmix with a latex additive. The latex additive will make it adhere better and give it a higher psi.

JACUSTOMER-h1qhib1b- :

I have looked at the schlueter pans. A little expensive for my budget. Does quikcrete have a sand mix available? Is there a special kind that they sell?

House-Doc :

You can find sand/topping mix at home depot. This consists of sand and portland and works great for deck mud. This should work well for your application. Just remember to add the latex additive to improve strength and adhesion.