Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I think the torsion spring on my wayne dalton door is broken...

Customer Question

I think the torsion spring on my wayne dalton door is broken... the cables have been wrapping around the bar in a loose bunch for the past few days. Today, for some reason the door will not open at all.

How can I get the door open until a repairman can come by and fix it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

You need to disconnect the door from the opener. The opener does not lift the door, the springs do, the opener just aids in the open process. Since the springs are broken and after disconnecting it from the opener, the door can be lifted. It will be heavy and you may need a helper. You also may have to tie it up to keep it open. Be extra careful when closing it so it doesn't slam down and possibly injure someone.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I disconnet the door from the opener? If it is done by pulling the cord to loosen the arm (which is bolted to the garage door) from the chain, I have tried that. Once I pop that arm loose from the chain, the door still does not budge. I have done that in the past when the power was out. Something is preventing the door from opening.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you pull the cord to disconnect the door from the trolley. Verify that it has disconnected. Verify that nothing is obstructing the roller paths inside the door tracks. Sounds like something is in the way. The door should move freely on the tracks when disconnected from the trolley and with no obstructions/ bent tracks/ bent rollers. Remember, there will be some heavy lifting involved.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry....I forgot to tell you to remove the wire from the door which attaches to the spring. Since the spring is not working it will prevent the door from moving or limit the length of movement.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Also, it is very important that you know if you have 1 or 2 springs. If only one is broke and you have two, the one that is not broke should not be removed from the door, since it is under a lot of tension and can be dangerous to mess with. The door will try to go up crooked when manually lifting, just keep that into consideration.
This is not the exact model number of your opener, but I am sure the tensioning system is the same. Click here to see the manual. Refer to the first few pages for the potential dangers and methods to release the tension and determining if you have one or two springs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't work... apparently there is also something wrong with the chain drive/lift because I had to completely remove the arm that connects the chain to the door. Then I was able to lift the door manually.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean....disconnecting the trolley should have released the door. At least you have the door disconnected. With the door disconnected, you could try operating the opener to see if it works properly. Hopefully you didn't try operating it with the broken spring....that could have stripped some gears.