Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

both cables came off of my garage door. It has the tension

Customer Question

both cables came off of my garage door. It has the tension bar in the middle.

It is in the up position - after I rewind the cables and connect them to the bottom of the door - I am unclear what to do next.

Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com.
First check to make sure the spring has not broken and the cables have not broken.
In the full open position, the cable door pins are farther away from the spools than they are after about 6-8" of down travel.
So if you connect the cables in the full up position without winding the spools a turn or two, they will loosen & bird's nest as soon as the door approaches the spools.
A way to "cheat" on tensioning is:
with the door in the position that places the cable pins closest to the spools:
Wind the cable on the grooves of the spool on one side. Stop winding when the cable comes up short of reaching the pin.
Have someone rotate the spring bar the spool is set on with a plumber's Stiltson wrench until you can get the cable onto the door pin.
Go to the other side, loosen the set screws for the spool
wind the cable in the grooves and connect to the door pin.
Take any slack up & tighten the set screws.
Now your cables will not bird's nest anymore.
Regardless of the type of account you have with JA, you must successfully click on "ACCEPT" to reward me for my efforts made on your behalf. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well.