Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

The Garage door Model # XXXXX only opens 6 inches then

The Garage door Model # XXXXX only opens 6 inches then stops. I have just replaced worm gear.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

The opener may be trying too hard to open the door either because the spring(s) is weak or broken or the tracks/ rollers are bent or need lubricating. If the opener is humming, I would definitely check these out. This could have been the reason for needing to replace the gear, sunce it can damage the gears. The opener does not open the door, the springs do, the opener just aids in moving the door open.

I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door NEEDS to roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it NEEDS to be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. If the door wants to go down by itself the springs are at fault, have a qualified service technician fix them...they can be dangerous to work with since they are under extreme tension.

In addition, operate the opener without the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The trolley will fully go up and down if working properly.

Let me know what you find.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When we operate the garage door opener without the door attached it still only move the chain 6" inches.
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
Ok.....I would then try adusting the up force on the back of the motor unit. It only takes a very small turn to make an adjustment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried turning the up force but I turned it 4 or 5 turns. would I have messed up the circuit board.

Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Well you may have messed something up. The entire adjustment range is only 3/4 of a circle and you are not supposed to go beyond that range.