Brian
Brian , Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

My door starts to close, gets about halfway and then opens

My door starts to close, gets about halfway and then opens again like the button was pushed again. It does not do the flash thing like when something trips the sensor.
It happens with new handheld remotes and the button on my Prius
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Sounds like you have a problem with the safety sensors; either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just misaligned. When the invisible beam path is obstructed or misaligned while the door is closing, the door will stop or reverse. Verify that the mounting brackets for the sensors are secured tight and the sensors are not vibrating while the door is closing.

The remotes will not work to close the garage door; they can only open it. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door.

To correct the problem, most models need to display green or amber indicator lights in both the sending and receiving eyes and they will glow steadily if wiring connections and alignment are correct. The sending eye indicator light will glow regardless of alignment or obstruction. If the indicator light is off, dim or flickering in the receiving eye (and the invisible light beam path is not obstructed), alignment is required.

• Loosen the sending eye wing nut and re-adjust, aiming directly at the receiving eye. Lock in place.
  • Loosen the receiving eye wing nut and adjust sensor vertically and/ or horizontally until it receives the sender's beam. When the green indicator light glows steadily, tighten the wing nut.

1. If the sending eye indicator light does not glow steadily check for:

• Electric power to the opener.
  • A short in the white or white/black wires. These can occur under staples or at screw terminal connections.
  • Incorrect wiring between sensors and opener.
  • An open wire (wire break).

2. If the sending eye indicator light glows steadily but the receiving eye indicator light doesn't:

• Check alignment.
  • Check for an open wire to the receiving eye.

3. If the receiving eye indicator light is dim, realign either sensor.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.
Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm a little insulted. It is not the safety sensor...as I said in my message. When I hold the wall button down, I get the same behavior, it goes half way down and then back up. The light dose not flash as it does when the safety sensor is tripped. I can get it to go all the way down by guiding it gently down with my hand from the outside.
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Don't feel insulted.....we have to start somewhere....its a process of elimination with these things.

I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door should roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it should be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. No bent tracks or rollers. Verify that the door is balanced.

In addition, operate the opener without the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The down force may need to be adjusted to apply a little more force upon closing.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the mechanism works fine without the door attached.
Working on this up and down force idea, I saw tow little yellow knobs and turned the Up one to higher (clockwise) and the Down to lower....is this what they're for? It worked with the door attached twice now. Good enough for the moment.
thanks
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

You have the correct buttons...it sounds like you fixed it.....good job!