Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I live in a remote area where it is imposible to to get a service

I live in a remote area where it is imposible to to get a service persn and I was hoping there might be a short list of common problems, with the toyo heaters, and techniques for fixing. Is there such a resource.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 4 years ago.
Have all work permitted and inspected. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED. I come and go. be patient.

Hello, get me the model number of the unit and its approximate age
I will see what I can do

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gas-oil-home-heating-furnaces/328794-toyostove-ignitor-problems.html

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil,

I don't have a model # XXXXX I don't have a heater yet. I assumed that these units are quite similar and probaly have similar problems. What are some typical maintenance and repairs that need to be done on these units? If you have done a fair amount of service work on Toyos, you must have seen some recurring problems.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 years ago.
Hello, igniter is the most failure prone part.

You would have to tell me which model you are going to buy, then i could work out a spare parts list for you.

However... its always nice to one or two back ups for anything when you are out in the wilds like that... even a tiny back up will suffice to keep you warm in one room.

Those can inexpensive.

Tell me what you are going to burn? Fuel oil? Propane? etc. you may want to consider a wood burner as well.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I was called away suddenlyand didn't get back to the computer.Lets use a toyotami L73 as our chosen model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I seem to have lost contact with Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil,

I will likely be burning Feel oil in a L73 Toyo laser heater. Wood is already here.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, This unit has 4 major electronic components, each of those has a few dozen minor components. This type of unit by any manufacturer is **failure prone**...and quite difficult to diagnose by even experienced technicians in the field.

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/laserventedheaters/L-73.php

I do not recommend such a system be installed in a remote location, especially where no service is available.

I recommend the most basic, manually operated equipment possible. There are many on the market. And even those have their share of problems..but at least are generally fixable in the field.

If you did purchase the toyo stove, I would buy the following spares:

Programmable thermostat
Master Control card
Fuses for the master control card
Ignition module.
Complete burner assembly.
High limit safety cut out switch,
Power vent blower
Pressure switch

Over a period of heavy use for 10 years, you would likely need
at least 2 or 3 of these items. The rest you would never use.

Thats my view of the situation after 50 years in the field working with these smaller units and huge industrial class heating units for high rise buildings... the complete range.

Let me know if you further elaboration, we can go from there until you decide what you would like to do about heating your place in the wilderness.

Phil

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Phil