Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

have sears craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener. It will open

Customer Question

have sears craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener. It will open about 2 - 3 feet and then it stops. Pressing the button again will shut it. Have adjusted the up force settings to highest level and still have issue. Should I lubricate the track? Only way to open garage door is manually. Help!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Something (Obviously) is binding someplace. I need you to do a thorough inspection of every part in the track system. Have someone press the button to open the door as you are looking closely at the track. Look at the tracks to see if you can see them tightly bending... Check to make sure that the rollers are staying in their sleeves and make sure that every screw and bolt in the track system is tight.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eric,

I checked track and bindings. Everything seems to be tight. I will verify. My guess is the the center that connects chain pulley is binding somehow. The rollers seems to be fine in each track. It moves up to about 1 or 2 feet off ground and then stops every time.

I appreciate your thoughts. Do you think it would help to lubricate chain and pulley? If so, what oil should I use?

thanks

Rick

Lubricating the chain and rollers certainly couldn't hurt. What you need to use is this or something like it. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43206

What does the motor sound like when it stops?

Please tell me the model number. It should start with a 139

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eric,

model number is XXXXX

I will look into lubricant mentioned.

When garage door stops, motor does not make any additional noise.

I did notice that center bracket (with chain and pulley) that connects garage door opener to garage door seems to bend ever so slightly where it is getting stuck.

OK, that was the next thing I was going to ask you to check... You wrote "I did notice that center bracket (with chain and pulley) that connects garage door opener to garage door seems to bend ever so slightly where it is getting stuck". I would wager that this is actually your problem. I have had to find creative ways to beef up that stress point before on older doors. Every time the door has opened since the opener was installed, that point of connection suffers stress. Over time, the metal fatigues. Now that it is bending slightly, you are going to need to figure out a way to add additional support behind the bracket. I normally figure out a way to insert about a 12" to 16" section of angle iron up in there. It is going to require drilling and adding several additional bolts.
Thank you for accepting my answer, if after you effect the repair, the problem still persists, please post back to me here and we can continue troubleshooting.