Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction

I want to build a small 12X20 primitive hunting cabin. No eletricity,

Customer Question

I want to build a small 12X20 primitive hunting cabin. No eletricity, no water. Basically just a place out of the elements. Are the building codes different for such a building? I would be building it myself. Thanks, Troy
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name isXXXXX built 200 sf. in Dillard GA and were not required to pull a permit. I am going to refer you to a great Forum called "Small Cabin Forum" that has a lot to say about exactly what it is that you desire to do.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/5_126_0.html

I realize that I have not answered your question directly however, so do not feel obligated to accept my answer unless the information or link I have provided actually turns out to be of some help to you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
just gave me a web-site forum to go to. That's it.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Here is the problem your going to face.

#1, is this on private property where nobody can get to it and sleep?

#2, Are you going to invite people over to use it or just you and your familly?

On a structure that large, yes they probably will because its big enough that if it fell it would hurt or kill anybody it landed on. If your out in the sticks (I can say that because Im from louisiana) and have no building department to just "check"things out, then most times they dont have a problem with a person building a shed to keep things in on a temporary basis. I have built several and can tell you that it will greatly depend on the area you live in.

But if your out far enough away that your hunting then your probably not going to have anybody just drop by to look unless you have a person that turns it in .

If this helps answer your question please click the green accept button for the first expert you were working with as I was just helping him out while he was offline.

If not im still here to assist you.

Thanks again,

Charles ps. What and where do you hunt?

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is private property, the neighbors are two hundred yards away on two sides, another hundred yards from the street, in Bland County, Virginia. It's mostly wooded but if someone was looking for a place to sleep they might be able to find it. The answers I guess I'm looking for is, can it be built with what lumber. 2x6 or 8, can the roof be 2x6 on 24" centers, can the corners be on 6x6 posts cemented in the ground, then cinder blocks every few feet much like my shed. I haven't starting building yet, just trying to do some homework. I am an out of town owner so I would think that the inspector would take special interest in what ever I would build. I hunt deer, turkey, and black bear.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Very good, I have 10 acres in la in the middle of the woods. Love the deer! never could have a garden though! the things breed faster than rabbits now, lol

I would use 2x10s running in the 12ft length minimum if its flat with snow loading if you get snow. If you do get snow then 16" centers and minimum 5/8" sheeting. Im not sure if you get snow at that location, but as an engineering contractor I tend to overkill because of unforseen issues. If you get snow and have the roof pitched at at least a 5/12 pitch then you could do 2x8s at 16oc.

If the area get minimal snow if any, then 2x8 flat roof is ok with 5/8sheeting and 24oc. I would be sure to give the roof at least a 3 to 4 inch drop thiugh for drainage.

2x4 walls are fine at 16oc.

6x6 in the corners and in 2 more in the middle on simpson post anchors in18x18x18 footings if the soil is stable. If not then 24x24x24 this way you dont have to worry about it when your not there. Do not direct bury the wood in concrete, they dont like that.

The floor joist, 2x8 at 24oc is ok if you use 3/4" t&g sheeting with suport beam running down the middle.

Thats how I would start.

Is there a house on the property now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No house on the property. I was looking at a 9-12 pitch roof. And a shed dormered 12 X7 porch. Where can I find the legal requirements? If it's going to cost me too much it's not going to happen. Where in La. do you live? I have friends near Baton Rouge.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
You will need to double check the requirements with the local officials. Farmerville, 100miles from Texas, 100miles from Mississippi and 30miles from Ark. Right in the middle at the top of the state.