Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

My upper kitchen cabinet is pulling away from its base. The

My upper kitchen cabinet is pulling away from it's base. The back of the cabinet is still secure to the wall, but the front is pulling away. Can I fix this on my own and how??
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick :

Please post your pictures here (no more than 3) your description isn't telling me enough to offer a fix

Rick :

CLick on the paper clip link to post

Customer:

Thank you. Retrieving pictures...

Rick :

ok

Customer:

1st one is from inside. 2nd is view from top

Rick :

Your cabinets are basically coming apart. It looks the best thing you could do is first cut the staples off that are showing. Then shim the front of the cabinet at the sides since it looks like this is the cause of the separation. Once the staples are gone you could draw the cabinet back together by screwing a cleat to the inside top of the cabinet. The cleat should be the full width of the inside of the cabinet.

Rick :

Attach it with with screws 6" apart down through the top panel. Then (with nothing in the cabinet) screw the cleat into the wall at the studs. You will need screws long enough to grab the stud through the cleat. This should draw the cabinet back to the wall

Customer:

What does shim the fron of the cabinet mean?

Rick :

once this is done drive your shims tight under the front sides of the cabinet to keep this from happening again

Rick :

the front of the cabinet would have to be off the floor with no support for this to happen

Rick :

so you get some shim shingles (#2 white cedar) and push them under the front of the cabinet sides with the tapered end towards the wall

Rick :

you stack them up until you have enough support to hold up the front of the cabinet

Customer:

Do you have any sort of illustration of this by chance?

Rick :

Nothing but my description. What is unclear?

Customer:

push them under the front of the cabinet sides with the tapered end towards the wall

Rick :

Maybe I can find you a picture. give me a minute

Customer:

okay. thank you for your patience

Rick :

In you case you need to place the shims at the sides so they are under the side panels of your cabinet

Rick :

you don't have to use cedar shingles they also sell small packages of wood shims

Rick :

they are tapered like shingles

Customer:

okay.

Rick :

do you have the whole picture now?

Customer:

I think so- I have to remove the cabinet from the wall to do all this?

Rick :

NO, just cut the staples

Rick :

leave it in place

Rick :

once you cut the staples and attach your cleat to the top the screws into the cleat and ths hims should pull it back togehter

Customer:

The picture shows the shims under the cabinet on the floor. this cabinet is the upper cabinet that hangs from the wall.

Rick :

I thought it was a tall cabinet floor to ceiling

Rick :

Then you will have to rely on just the cleat

Customer:

aww, no wonder I was confused! :)

Rick :

You can also add cleats along the sides as well but hiding the screws might be a problem

Rick :

along the inside

Customer:

I can deal with that as long as it doesnt fall

Rick :

After you get this back together I wouldn't put too much weight in the cabinet

Customer:

okay.

Rick :

any more questions?

Customer:

no. thank you!!

Rick :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer:

okay

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.