Jerry, hearth products
Experience:  owned and operated stove retail and service 12 yrs
34748161

I have a brand new Lennox Winslow pellet stove. It has been

I have a brand new Lennox Winslow pellet stove. It has been installed for about a week and a half. It doesn't stay lit, and the fan seems to only have one speed. It worked fine when first installed. I have cleaned it per the instruction manual. Only about 4 bags of pellets have been used so far. Could the fan be bad? Could the manual control be bad?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JA! This definitely sounds like a control problem. When you say it won't stay lit....can you explain what happens to make it go out? What is the sequence from start up to shut down. You should check if there is a manual/thermostat switch that may have inadvertently been turned to thermostat, and the Stove is waiting for commands from a non existing thermostat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It just goes into "shutdown" mode, the auger stops feeding, it will go out, the fan stays on till it quits. I had previously had it hooked up to a thermostat, but unplugged that because although it worked at first, it stopped working. While on the thermostat, it worked fine for almost a week. Then, it would shut down at the programmed time or temperature, but it wouldn't start back up when it called for heat or when the programmed time told it to. I just unplugged it today. I don't see anything that looks like a theromstat/manual switch and I don't see anything in the manual. Once it shuts down, I can just push "start" and it will start. Sometimes the green "ready" light stays lit, sometimes none of the lights are on. But I haven't gotten any red flashing lights indicating an error.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
The current symptoms are typical of a cool start. Meaning the flame or heat during start up isn't enough to hold once the start up mode releases and it reverts to running mode. There is a sensor near the exhaust blower that senses high temps to prove there is fire.

Having said this, most stoves have a setting or switch or jumper that needs to be activated or deactivated when changing from t-stat mode to manual control. I don't have access right now to the manual but it should be fairly clear in the section for installing an optional thermostat. I will continue with research tomorrow if you need further help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to clean the "proof of fire" switch thinking it might be that, but wasn't able to access one of the screws. I will check that tomorrow. I know that there was a jumper that I removed to install the thermostat, but it was acting this way with the thermostat too. I appreciate your help and will look for more info from you tomorrow. Thanks!
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
I was able to download a manual and found that yes you definitely need to re insert the jumper block ( or connect a wire) back in the thermostat screws area on the back of the control board. I think you were having thermostat problems and should be resolved by installation of the jumper. If that has been done and you have the same problem its a bad proof of fire sensor.
Jerry, hearth products
Experience: owned and operated stove retail and service 12 yrs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Didn't get any text.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You were right! When I disconnected the thermostat, I didn't put the jumper wire back in. Seems to be working now. Thank you for your help!