Barry G.
Barry G., Handyman
Experience:  I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.
11179659

my deep freeze keeps dripping condensation on the floor under

Customer Question

my deep freeze keeps dripping condensation on the floor under the freezer
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Eric M. Bright :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Eric M. Bright :

Have you tried emptying the drip pan?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the freezer is not fitted with a tray , humidity is not high and temperature is 15 to19 c
I am going to opt out and refer this question to the catagory of appliances. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
How old is your freezer and its not a frost free freezer is that correct? Its a chest type with a door that lifts?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The freezer is about 16 years old. its not frost free and yes it is a chest freezer.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure. Is it packed full of food, can you see if the bottom is rusted?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its 3/4 full of food. We moved it into the room it is now in a couple of weeks ago. There did seem to be a little rust but we thought it was only surface rust.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
I understand, there is one other possibility. Take a look at the tubing attached to the compressor. Is there ice or moisture on the tubing when the compressor is running for a few minutes?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pipework is bone dry in fact quite dusty , we have a second freezer in this room which is a bit newer but no problem
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a compressor starts going bad it will push some cold coolant in the wrong direction causing the pipe to sweat or freeze. Not all of the coolant, just some.

Does yours have a drain plug inside and is that in place,, or outside? I did not ask that question because I thought you probably already had done that. But this is about the last thing there is.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is not a drain plug in this freezer ,if i remember correctly this problem may have occured years ago ,but freezer has been in a garage were it did not matter and not noticed until we moved back to our utillity room after a lengthy rebuild
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
What you can do when you get time is empty it. Lift it enough to work with it but try not to lift it more than 60 or 70 degrees angle. Get some silicone sealant and find and seal the hole. There has to be a hole underneath. You can add furnace tape over the silicone and that should make a fair patch. There are other sealants you can use such as epoxies, as long as its clean and dry when you apply whatever you use. The problem is going to be that. The reason for the water is that the inside of the walls and floors of all freezers contain ice. All of them, whether the freezer is built into a refrigerator or a stand alone freezer and it does'nt leak unless there is a hole.

Please ask if you have questions,
Barry

Barry G., Handyman
Experience: I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.