Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century

I need paint that looks like wood

Customer Question

Are there any paint colors that look like wood?

Have a very dark stained wood all over our modern house. We've done some work in various places and have new, unstained wood all over too -- we've decided we don't like the dark stain and want something to cover all the dark stuff and the new stuff to make it uniform. We want something like cherry wood or mahogany wood (arts and crafts style house). Have looked at all the Behr stains and can't find anything to work.

Already Tried:
Behr Stains - solid stains..nothing works - nothing looks like wood.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to

The technique you are looking for is called Faux Woodgraining. Faux (Pronounced Foe) Woodgraining allows you to take latex paints of any shade and create an authentic wood look on any surface.

Here is a YouTube video that offers an introduction to the technique. A google search using the search words "Faux Woodgraining" will additionally yield more information on the subject than you will ever be able to find time to read.

This should get you started. It is actually a very fun technique to apply!!