How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fix-It Your Own Question
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 3011
Experience:  Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Dr. Fix-It is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Mr. Holmes, My nine year old concrete garage floor

Resolved Question:

Dear Mr. Holmes,

My nine year old concrete garage floor does not drain properly to the exterior asphalt driveway. Rain often seeps in under the overhead door and during winter the snow melt off the car ponds near the rear of the car and at the garage door resulting in a very dirty and wet mess on the floor. The surface of the concrete, especially near the overhead door, is flaking and generally deteriorating such that the floor is now rough in several spots.

One contractor, in 2008, resurfaced or patched the floor from the overhead door inwards about 4 to 6 feet in an effort to try to repair the surface and better slope the floor towards the exterior but that repair has now mostly crumbled and delaminated, it was not successful. The contractor blamed the failure of his repair work on the poor quality of the existing floor and would not therefore undertake any warranty repairs.

Short of removing and replacing the whole garage floor can you recommend any resurfacing products or techniques that might be cost effective in providing a hardened, bondable and sloped/drainable surface on top of the existing concrete floor? As a desperate last resort, please also provide your opinion on whether or not you would consider the drilling of a few ¾” to 1” drainage holes through the floor into the crushed stone base, as a possible option for a partial solution?

Ruth Fraley,
Brighton, Ontario
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question, I will evaluate it and respond with some logical and quite practical solutions for you in a timely manner. . .

This JA site is not associated with Mike Holmes (you may call his inspection team @ 1-888-563-5699) and JA is an independent site to provide answers to your questions -

However, Here is a Mike Holmes approved company in your area -

Graff Concrete Cutting Services
Chris Pardy XXXXX
Brampton L6W 3J9
Email:[email protected]

They can help modify the existing concrete to allow water run-off away from the home by grinding down areas or creating rough section of the existing driveway to reslope the elevation to prevent water to settle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but the contractor you have recommended is a long way from Brighton, Ontario. Do you have knowledge of any well qualified contractors any closer? You also said you would provide some "logical and quite practical solutions". Please let me know when I may expect to hear from you in that regard.
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 4 years ago.
Aye they are just two hours away... Another listed Mike Holmes approved contractor is -
Complex Paving LTD
|(NNN) NNN-NNNN| TollFree: 1-866-212-2821
Cell:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Email:[email protected]
Appears most of the companies he works with are in Toronto areas.
Here are some companies that do concrete work though have not with Mike Holmes... There is these folks which are about 40 minutes out
Ray Brothers Construction Ltd
Gd Stn Main Belleville, ON K8N 4Z8, Canada(NNN) NNN-NNNN
closer in your area is
Fledderus Concrete
384 Smith St RR 3 Brighton, ON K0K 1H0
Ok now as fix, will have to cut out drain channel along the driveway to be able to route any water down drain pipe and away from the home, May resurface the existing concrete by higher pressure cleaning the area of dirt and loose concrete. Then may apply a concrete resurfacer mix for a smooth like new looking surface.
Here is a clip that shows the steps of the surface repair
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 3011
Experience: Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance
Dr. Fix-It and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 4 years ago.
Please see the picture clip of the drain channel recommended and the video clip link directly below that of the QUIKRETE® Concrete Resurfacer (No. 1131) application. If need further clarification can simply ask, no need to be negative when information requested was provided. Thanks and all the best.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • You did one super job of explaining to me everything there is to know about this fridge. I'm looking forward to asking you questions in the future. Jimmy Bagley, IA
< Previous | Next >
  • You did one super job of explaining to me everything there is to know about this fridge. I'm looking forward to asking you questions in the future. Jimmy Bagley, IA
  • Thank you for the expeditious answer. It's good to know you're out there and awake in the wee hours when I finally have time to ask questions about my Jenn Air. Jean Riverhead, NY
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY

Meet The Experts:

  • Brian



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
< Last | Next >
  • Brian's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
  • The Home Smithy's Avatar

    The Home Smithy

    Home Builder

    Satisfied Customers:

    #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
  • Steve G.'s Avatar

    Steve G.


    Satisfied Customers:

    VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
  • StructuralEng's Avatar


    Civil Engineer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Structural Engineer
  • Eric M. Bright's Avatar

    Eric M. Bright

    We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
  • Rich's Avatar


    Home Improvement Enthusiast

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
  • Phil's Avatar


    Mechanical Engineer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Retired contractor, 51 years experience