Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

PDS-4700e Precision Door Service garage door opener that will

Customer Question

PDS-4700e Precision Door Service garage door opener that will not close. It is 1 1/2 years old and was working fine previously. It will open all the way but it will not close without someone helping the door down. However, when you release the door from the opener track there is very little friction and the door moves up and down easily. I have adjusted all of the force settings with no luck. Any ideas?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 3 years ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question!

Customer :

Hi

Charles :

It sounds like the force sensor is going or gone bad

Charles :

does it just stop and go back up?

Customer :

Yes. From the top it barely moves down at all. However, if I help it it will sometimes go about 1/2 and then start back up.

Charles :

Do you have the safety sensors located at the bottom of the garage door?? this can cause the same thing if they get out of allignment

Customer :

they appear to be in alignment. one side has a red LED and the other a green LED. I have two openers and both sensors at the bottom appear the same. one opener works and the other does not

Charles :

Does the opener have a travel sensor??

Customer :

yes.

Charles :

Have you tried to adjust it or is it in the right spot?

Customer :

i haven't really messed with that yet. I can't get it to go down all the way. to test the travel sensor i have to put a 2 X 4 at the bottom and adjust it propoerly. I can't get it to go down that far

Customer :

I set the operating force to max and it didn't help. then i moved the sensitivity setting to the least sensetive and that didnt help

Charles :

is this a chain drive or screw?

Customer :

belt

Charles :

ok, the belt may have slipped and caused the travel sensor to move.

Customer :

I'm leaning towards one of the force sensors going bad

Customer :

hmmm. not sure how to check that

Charles :

could be, hard to say from here, lol testing things one at a time is the best way

Charles :

close the door manually

Charles :

and look at the belt to see if you can see the little trip switch

Customer :

yes, i think i almost need someone who has seen this exact problem. Yep, I can close the door manually. that what i have done for the last few days

Charles :

There may be a small stud or attatchment to the belt that trips a switch and stops the opener from going to far

Customer :

okay, i will look in the book and check for some guidance. if that is it i will come back and let you know

Charles :

ok

Charles :

before you go

Customer :

thank you

Customer :

yes

Charles :

try to close the door manually

Customer :

ok

Charles :

then without connecting it back to the opener, close the opener

Charles :

then re connect the door to the opener

Customer :

yes, i've done that. soemtime it catches and sometimes it doesn't. i have to do it a couple times before it will latch onto the belt

Customer :

i will check the other door and see if it does the same way when i shut it manually

Charles :

but the opener will go down into the closed posission? just without the door

Customer :

yes

Customer :

thats why i am leaning towards the bad sensor

Charles :

yep! thats what it is!

Customer :

the door moves very freely without tension manually

Charles :

thats what I was looking for right there

Charles :

bad force sensor

Customer :

i just found something in the book about a tension adjustment. i may look at that as well

Charles :

on the door or the opener

Customer :

the opener

Customer :

i think it is for the belt

Charles :

probably

Charles :

Im sure its the force sensor

Customer :

i'm going to give it a shot. thanks\

Charles :

your welcome

Charles :

Hope I was helpfull

Customer :

i'll try a few more things and let you know if i fix it

Charles :

ok