Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

We are replacing our old Firex Model FX 1218 smoke detectors.

Customer Question

We are replacing our old Firex Model FX 1218 smoke detectors. Our smoke alarms are tied into a home system. They are hardwired and have batteries. I keep seeing replaced by bigger numbers.

What should I be buying? I need 30.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
I need some clarification on exactly what you have for detectors. If they have batteries then the aren't directly tied into a alarm system with a central station monitoring. There may be a set of contacts that were installed by the alarm installer is all. This being the case if you purchase 30 detectors with an interconnect and a battery, any would be fine, they all work the same. Kidde (Firex) has always been as good as you would expect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer is not correct. Again the old Firex Model FX 1218 has a battery and it is a 120/AC plug into hardwired electric system. The battery is the backup. I thought you would find out what replaced this model. It moved thru the years to a 4618 and I cannot tell if now it is a Kidde 5xxxx something. I am looking for specifics due to the volume and most smoke alarms cannot be returned. Most will work is not what I was looking for.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
What you expected and what the facts are seem to be at odds. Any hard wired smoke detector is required to be paired with a like kind. Over the years they have been improved and the old ones are not compatable. If you're replacing them all, then all I suggested was that Firex is now part of Kidde and all you need do is buy 30 of the same model number. I would also caution you that Kidde/Firex had a recall some time back and that you should be careful as to where you buy them.