Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler , General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

how do I remove a kwikset single cylinder deadbolt

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.
On the interior of the door you will find a turn latch used to activate the deadbolt. Note that there are 2 screws. Retract the deadbolt. Remove these 2 screws and the exterior cylinder will separate from the interior latch. Next look at the edge of the door. Notice that there is a screw above & below the deadbolt. Remove these 2 screws. Last, pull the dead bolt mechanism out of the edge of the door. That's it, you're done!
I hope that this information was helpful to you. Your funds are a deposit to JustAnswer, not a payment to me. Unless you successfully click on "ACCEPT" I get nothing. Depending on your mouse configurations, this may require a double click or single click. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date. To find your way back to your question, log into your account and click on the “My Questions” tab.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the face plat on the exterior of the door and I can see that there are 2 screws which have been installed from the interior side. the problem is that I don't know how to get to them. the thumb lever needs to be removed in order to take the face plate off to access the screws. Can you tell me how to do that?
OK- the standard Kwikset has the interior screws exposed. If this is not the case, you have a high end model designed for fashion. On this model look at the thumb latch on the interior. It will have a small set screw, usually an allen screw. With an allen wrench back this screw off and the thumblatch will come off, releasing the coverplate, exposing the screws. How you managed to get the exterior faceplate off is a mystery to me. I suspect some sort of violent attack was required, as it is normally removed by removing the interior screws.
Did you get it removed, or do you need further assistance?