Delsley
Delsley, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Electrical, Plumbing, Carpenter & Pool repair and set-up

I have a garage door opener (Stanley D1000 A07 / Date 98523)

I have a garage door opener (Stanley D1000 A07 / Date 98523) I hit the wall button, or remote button and it hums, starts to move, then stops and reverses itself then stops. This happens from both the up or down position. I have manually put it in both. I suspect an obstruction sensor, but I have no clue on how to fix that. The other door works fine. I have two garage doors. The openers are identical, but there is no sensor on the other one.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Delsley replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Will the door open and close easy if you release the opener ? Is all the rollers in the track ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I unlock the door and manually open and close it, it rolls easily on the tracks with no resistance.
Expert:  Delsley replied 3 years ago.
How old is the opener ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Date Model on the unit is: 980523, so I assume it was manufactured on May 23, 1998
Expert:  Delsley replied 3 years ago.
Ok sorry I missed that. As long as the door opens and closes good when released, I would check and make sure nothing is jammed in the rail of the opener ( the part where the chain travels on it ). If every thing looks good then I would say the sensitivity needs adjusted some as over time they may become a little weak and need adjusted some. Also take a can of air and blow the dust out of the opener as it can also affect the opener.
Delsley, Handyman
Experience: Handyman, Electrical, Plumbing, Carpenter & Pool repair and set-up
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer.com.
What happens if you HOLD the wall button down? This is an important clue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In response to Desley,

Blowing the dust out of it didn't help, and I tried adjusting the tension adjustment and it didn't help.

In response to Stephen,
if I just hold the wall button, the motor runs but the door doesn't move.
When you hold the wall button down & the motor runs, does the screw drive or chain move? I ask this because you disconnected the door to see if it was the problem. You may have not re-engaged it . If this is the case you may have altered the timing of where the opener thinks the door is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I check to see if it is aligned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello. This morning I went and looked at the garage door opener. I have a chain driven system. I saw that there was a "shoe" or lock foot that the door should be locked into, and it was in the full up position. I opened the door by hand and locked the door into that shoe. I than did what you said before, hold the button continuesly. The door came down normally.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can do when I run home for lunch. I will gladly pay you for any further help. I didn't have much time this morning since I had to get to work.
I replied yesterday but it didn't post for some reason. here it is again.
It covers all possibilities:

Auto reverse, and failure to respond to close command, are emergency safety functions. This only happens when the opener thinks someone or something it trapped under the door, or standing in the path of the door while you are trying to close it. There are 3 possible causes.

The 1st & most common way the safety system is fooled into thinking it should not close is misalignment of the safety sensors. They are easily bumped and knocked out of alignment. The safety sensors are located at the bottom of, and mounted to, each side of the track. They must be pointed AT each other with nothing blocking either of the sensors. When properly aligned, you should have a small light illuminated on each sensor. If they are in good alignment, but not lit, check the delicate wires for continuity and firm terminal connections.

When this problem occurs the remotes will not work, the door will open, but door will stop & reverse immediately after activating the wall button down command, or if you are holding the wall button down, which bypasses the safety system, immediately upon release of the button. However, IF the door travels partially or all the way closed and then reverses, look to the 2nd & 3rd possible causes.

The 2nd cause is the closing force, which is also part of the safety system. It could be set too light and the normal tension of the closed position exceeds what the door believes to be allowable tension. . There should be a dial on the side of your opener that has a downward pointing arrow beside it. Turn this dial slightly, in the direction indicated on the opener, to increase the closing force of the door. If opening is the problem look for the up force dial. Binding of the spring coils on the shaft is a common cause of increased tension. If the shaft is dry, oiling or greasing the shaft will restore normal tension. DO NOT use WD-40! For more on springs see:

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/replace-garage-door-torsion-springs.php#wind

The 3rd cause is a malfunctioning travel limit switch. This fails to tell the door it is time to stop, and the opener tries to drive the door into the ground- again exceeding what the door believes to be allowable tension. The travel limit switch-mounting setscrew can vibrate loose allowing it to move or fall off. It's trip finger can break, or the switch can simply fail. The travel limit switch is mounted to the rail about where the trolley is located in the closed-door position.
First take a quick look to see if the travel limit switch is dangling by it's wire. Next confirm the sensors are lit & pointing at each other. If the sensors are aligned, get a stepladder and do a close inspection of the travel limit switch. If it has slipped & moved you will see a mark on the rail where the setscrew was engaged. Reset the switch and tighten the setscrew.
I see that you accepted Delseys advise and he then opted out. You should ask for a refund. Experts are not allowed to "take the money and run". He has to follow through with you until your problem is solved and corrected.