Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

My toilet is making a hissing sound I read on line that it

My toilet is making a hissing sound? I read on line that it could be the Ballcok but I don't know what is a ballcok. The toilet is 4years old

Rick :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick :

A ballcock is the old name for a fill valve. Since the new versions don't use a (ball) float they had to change the name. It's the valve that lets water into the toilet tank and controls the water level in the tank

Customer :

Yes that looks like the one inthe toilet tank. How do I fix the hissing sound and the trickling water?

Rick :

First check the water level in the tank

Rick :

it should be ~1/2" below the top of the overflow pipe

Rick :

If it is over the top you may need to replace the fill valve or you could try adjusting the float level with the tension clip on the the connecting rod on the side of the fill valve

Rick :

most of the time the valve needs to be replaced

Customer :

It filled up ok at this time but before no water was coming in it was only making a hissing sound. It shuts offf ok and flushes of once it's filled . Do you think the tempture could also be a factor it is -14c right now.

Rick :

It's possible you could have had a frozen line for a while. If the tank doesn't fill after a flush and the pipe is not frozen then you need to replace the fill valve

Customer :

I'll go check to see if the pipe is frozen, but wouldn't that have affected the rest of the pipes in the house?

Rick :

it's possible just the branch to the toilet could have frozen. The only way you can tell is by disconnecting the supply tube to the fill valve and see if you have water there. Of course you should turn the water off first

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Customer :

I am trying to locate the fill valve, when I turnthe water off and pull out the black tube there isno water coming out of it. But when I turn back on the watwer the hiiing is back and the water trickes from the round black top.

Rick :

please refer to the picture to use the proper terms so I can understand you. also please mind your spelling (hiiing?)

Customer :

When I pull up on the thing that says water level the hissing stops but soon starts again.

Rick :

sounds like you need a new fill valve

Customer :

Ok thanks. I think I have to buy the entire thing because it all looks like one unit to me thanks anyway

Rick :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer