Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  I do all of the remodeling projects on my own home. Experienced in all facets of Home Improvement.
9920183

I have a genie IS,ISL,IMS series garage door opener. When I

Customer Question

I have a genie IS,ISL,IMS series garage door opener. When I try to open the garage door, the door will open about two inches and then make a grinding type of noise
(at screw drive /carriage) before I press remote again and nosies stops and I can then close the door. I can dis-engage the carriage and open the door manually and then re-engage the carriage and close the door no problem. But when I try to open door I get same problem as above. Door is about 9-10 years old. No other problems with unit.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer...

Jason :

You did not mention any adjustments you may have made with the controls on the opener, so I thought I would ask you about it. You should have a knob that controls Up Force. Try turning this knob slightly, and then raising the door with the button. If it still won't go up, keep increasing the Up Force until it is maxed out. If the door still won't go up, even with the Up Force maxed out, let me know. Thank you.