Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next

Weight limit per square foot for floor over basement

Customer Question

Weight limit per square foot for floor over basement?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Rich :

Hello .. can you tell us what the structural framing is ... ?? .. 2X10 on 16 inch centers ? with a 12 froot span ?

Customer:

Framing is 2X8 on 16 inch centers; some joists are at 12 inch centers.

Customer:

Foot span to beam at middle of floor is over 13 Ft.

Customer:

House is a 3 Bdrm. Rambler approx. 38 Ft. wide - House is 55 years old.

Customer:

My concern is a seemingly heavy bed frame with wood slats in bedroom.

Customer:

Thank you.

Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience: Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot find any figure from your response that says maximum # XXXXX pounds per square foot for the floor that the bed I sleep on can support.

I did see that answer was positive?

Please Reply,

Frank

Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

OK .. the standard for allowable load , 40 # XXXXX and 10# XXXXX load, for your 2X8 , 16 inches on center would be a 12 foot span with #2 southern pine ..

a better grade wood and the use of full size timbers would increase this load capacity .. as will the sometimes 12 inches on center

So I would say that you are withing the safety factor of the floor with your old bed

Thoughts ,, concerns??

Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 3 years ago.
Actually SYP#2 @16 OC develops 40pound live load at 12'10"- just shy of your 13'.
a 6X6 King Bed footprint will hold 1440 pounds! So if you weigh 240, the bed can weigh 1200. This means no king size water beds (2246 lb)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer Stephen,

This is a new bed frame (Full Size - made out of particle board. It is heavy but

probably not 1200 pounds.) On the bed frame you put the box springs, then the mattress (pretty heavy) and then me - I weigh 171 pounds.

The bedroom has a dresser, a closet, and other small furniture.

I want to know if the floor is going to hold it all?

What is the maximum number of pounds per square foot that this bedroom floor

can hold.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Frank Cummings

Hi Frank. It's simple math really. Multiply the length of your bedroom in feet by the width of your bedroom in feet to get the total number of square feet. Multiply that by 40. This gives you the total pounds the bedroom floor is designed to support.
To convert inches to feet, divide the number of inches by 12. For example 4 inches is 4/12= .33 feet & 8" is 8/12= .66 inches. So 12' 10" = 12.83 feet.
In the real world the floor will support more than this, but would begin to exceed the designed deflection (sag & bounce). 40 pounds per square foot is the stout design load. It would take more to cause it to structurally fail. You mattress seems allot heavier than it really is because it can not be carried close to your body & it difficult to grasp. I doubt it weighs more than 100 pounds. The box spring is even less.
Particleboard is 2.5 pounds per square foot at 3/4" thick; so you might have 200 pounds there.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. Your funds are a deposit to JustAnswer, not a payment to me. Unless you successfully click on "ACCEPT" I get nothing. Depending on your mouse configurations, this may require a double click or single click. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date. To find your way back to your question, log into your account and click on the “My Questions” tab.
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience: 35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

The bedroom is 12' x 13' = 156 sq. ft. x 40 = 6,240 lbs.

The frame - 200 lbs, Mattress - 100 lbs., box springs less than 100 lbs. and my weight - 170 lbs. = 570 lbs.

My question may sound a little rediculous, but when you buy a new bed frame (the

predecessor broke after sleeping on it for 54 years - also particle board) and it feels

so heavy you get a question in your mind.

I could always get 2 two x fours nail them together and put them under the joists in

the basement that support the bedroom. The builders did that for the refrigerator.

Your answer is very helpful. I can do the bonus.

Thanks,

Frank

Thanks for the bonus!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Stephen,

I did appreciate your help. I finally decided to put the bed back together and I have

been sleeping on it from a few days after we talked. I still think that whole bed setup is pretty heavy. This house is pretty solid.

When I put that new bed frame together I said this thing is too heavy so that is why I decided that I better find out from someone.

I am old enough to know when in doubt find out.

Thanks,

Frank

Better safe than sorry. Thanks for using justAnswer.com