Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

if you pour a new concrete slab just in the bathroom do you

if you pour a new concrete slab just in the bathroom do you have to
- compact the sand benethe
- spary for bugs
- lay plastic down
- put mesh down
- and spear into existing slab/wall with rio
- then pout slab
because the contractor at my house didnt do any of the above apart from mix mud in a mixer and pour the slab and he tells me its australin standard but a seperate builder says its not can you clarify this for me please?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 3 years ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question!

Charles :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

Hi

Customer :

do you know what australian building code says about this matter

Charles :

With any concrete you need to always compact it down as much as you can, Industry standard ANYPLACE calls for compaction. If you dont the the conrete will settle and crack

Customer :

the sand needs compacting you mean yeah

Charles :

I am an Engineering contractor in the United States, I know the concrete industry standards

Charles :

Yes

Charles :

This is how it should go.

Customer :

and do they have to put a water proof membrane down before they pour?

Customer :

sorry go

Customer :

hello?

Charles :

#1- Backfill and compact the sand until the depth is right. #2- Plastic is put down to act as a moisture barrier. #3- Under pin the existing concrete (drill into the existing concrete and install rebar approx 4"deep and leave about the same amount sticking out. #4- If the slab that you are pouring is going to be (5feet by 5 feet) or larger then yes, put down wire mesh.

Charles :

Installing the pins into the existing concrete keeps them from becomeing un level later if one trys to settle.

Charles :

How big is the area he poured??

Customer :

2m by 3m

Charles :

Ok, he should have used wire mesh to be safe.

Customer :

the contactor said because its not a load baring slab (no brick walls on) it dont need rio but the builder says he should have

Charles :

And it should be approx 4" deep

Customer :

and because hes laying tiles on it

Customer :

he said he poured it 130mm

Customer :

shuld i get him to rip it up and start again and do it properly?

Charles :

Ok, thats thick enough, the rebar is a saftey that will keep the concrete from going uneven. Load bearing or not, I always do it to be safe.

Customer :

because i dont want it to crackor start leaking water under as it is a bathgroom

Charles :

And as far as him laying tile over the new concrete, The new concrete has to dry for at least 30 days minimu before he lays the tiles or they will not stick right

Charles :

If it was my job, he wojuld be replacing the concrete

Customer :

ok thanks for the info ill tell him to redo it

Customer :

thanks for your time

Charles :

No problem, anytime

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction