Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

How much does it cost to replace a ceiling

How much does it cost to replace a ceiling? We have a leaky roof. Consequently, we have damage to our ceiling in two rooms. The worst spot has just sort of caved in, leaving a hole of about 1' x 2', with water damage obvious around it and in two other spots. The room is about 15' x 20'. Once my husband patches up the leaks on the roof, I'm interested in getting the ceiling fixed then.
What are the potential costs if we hire a contractor? Things to be aware of? And if my husband tries to do it himself? For the new ceiling, we'd be looking for something basic and affordable.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Patrick replied 3 years ago.
What is the ceiling made out of now, drywall? If so, what kind of texture or finish? If not drywall, what is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, drywall. With that "popcorn" type coating on it.
Expert:  Patrick replied 3 years ago.
If your husband is handy this is not a difficult fix. You basically pencil out the areas you need to cut out and replace. Cover the floor to protect from dust. Remove any insulation that got wet in the ceiling above and replace with new insulation after you are finished patching. Get a small drywall saw, and cut out the bad drywall. Follow straight lines that you have marked on the ceiling. Remove the bad material. Now, cut a piece of 1 x 4 board to place along the side of the cut. Use course thread 1" drywall screws and screw the board so that 1/2 of it is screwed to existing plywood and the other 1/2 gives you something to screw the patch into. Cut the patch out of new 1/2 gypsum board, drywall, and dry fit into the hole. If it fits, screw it in place. Scrape back the popcorn finish about 3 to 4 inches back from the patch and apply drywall mud and drywall paper tape at the seam of the patch. Do this on all four sides and allow to dry. Once dry, apply a skim coat of drywall mud and allow to dry. Do not go too thick. Once dry, use a drywall sponge, following the directions on the sponge, to smooth the mud. When dry, apply popcorn finish, available in cans or dry mix at Home Depot. Paint with a thick nap roller with a prime coat then finish paint. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Patrick,

What do you think when you see this photo - still a job like you describe, or would the whole ceiling need to be replaced. The actual hole is about the size I described, but the entire affected area shown below is about 5' in length - from the area just left of the hole, all the way to the right (where you hopefully can see that it's not yet cracked open, but seems to be damaged; there's a line). On the other side of the room, 15' across from this, is another damaged area; no hole, but you can see there's about 1.5 s.f. of water damage.

Thanks!

graphic

Expert:  Patrick replied 3 years ago.
Sheetrock, drywall comes in 4' x 8' sheets. Removal of large areas is the same process as the smaller patch. I have pulled down entire ceilings in rooms and reinstalled full sheets. You can rent a sheetrock lift that helps put a sheet up where you can screw it off. If you have two people working together you can get by without it but it is helpful. If you are uncomfortable doing the tape and float of the joints you can hire someone to do it as well as the texturing with a hopper texture gun if you have a large area. If the ceiling is all damaged, it may be easier to replace it all and have it taped and floated and then use an orange peel texture in lieu of the popcorn finish. If you want to do the tape and float, there is lots of good "how to" information available on line. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Experience: 30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects