Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

I have a fieldstone foundation. I now have water leaking into

I have a fieldstone foundation. I now have water leaking into my cellar as my house is 4 ft below street level. What can I do to stop the water from leaking into my cellar. I did cement work over the summer outside on the bib going alongside the foundation.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question!!

The water may be entering from below grade. If the water is entering below grade you will need to install a drain system to evacuate the water from the areas before it can reach the cellar.

Is the water entering from the top or the walls of the cellar.??

Thanks again,

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Some of the water is coming in from where the wall meets the floor. Other places are from 6 - 8 inches above floor. If we make a hole in the floor the water will come up like a fountain.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

You have a serious water issue. You need to do the following.

Get somebody out there to do a leak detection to make sure you dont have a broken water or drain pipe. You may be able to get the city to do it for you since your close to the street. It sounds like the ground is saturated.

If this is only water from the street drainage, then you will need to install some kind of drain to direct the water away.

If these options dont work for you then I would think about installing a pump station. That is digging a hole (collection pit) about 3-4 feet deep and install a sump pump to move the below ground water away from the house.

That much water is not normal nor good for the foundation of the house. It will eventually under mine the house and cause allot of damage.

Please have it looked at by a leak detection comp, foundation comp, or another structural engineer to be safe.

Thanks again,

Charles

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, have been talking to contractors that work with water problems. I know I will have to do something soon. thanks