The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

I have a frontier wood burning stove - 1977 - serial # 4027649

I have a frontier wood burning stove - 1977 - serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN- double doors - air tight- It is a new home anfd the building ispector requires stove to wall sebacks. Can you help?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.
How far away from the wall is the unit now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not at the location of the stove at this time. The question is how far away should it be? Is there a NYS standard for this. Is this stove company still around and do you have access to the data from the company to answer ?

Unfortunatly the company went out of business many years ago.

The problem with these stoves is they never had a UL (underwriters laboratories) certification for the units they manufactured. If they had one you could contact UL for the specifications on the unit.

As no certification was obtained these units do not meet the requirements of UL-1482. This is the basis of the present day codes used by most all building inspectors offices throughout the US.

Basicly what your inspector wants to see is the manufacturers specs on this unit. If none are available then they will rely on the UL certification to ok the unit. As your unit does not have this the only recourse you have is to replace the unit with a newer unit that meets the code requirements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Getting a new stove is not an acceptable answer.

What are the requirements of UL 1482?

I am sorry but the UL code is only a refrence to the lab testing requirements. It will not give you the required specs for your unit.

Without the manufacturers specs or a UL certification the only other option is to convince the inspector that the unit is safe to use.

Whether you find my answer aceptable or not is up to you. All I can do is give you the benifit of my knowlege.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience