David L.
David L., Handyman
Experience:  22 Years experience. Have taught nearly every project to homeowners in the past as well as having done them myself.
52014526

Can you spackle over an already painted wall My husband did

Can you spackle over an already painted wall? My husband did a poor job spackling and then painted it. You can see the seams in the wall and I want to know how to properly fix it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  David L. replied 3 years ago.

David L. :

Hello! I believe that people can fix nearly ANYTHING themselves with a little guidance! I'll help you, and you will pay only if you are satisfied.

Expert:  David L. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  David L. replied 3 years ago.
If the seams are actually the drywall seams, then after painting it will be very difficult to fix. The right way to fix it would be to sand off the paint, or at least most of it, and redo the drywall joint compound over the seams, feathering out further, and sanding totally smooth before priming and repainting. The paint will not, as you have seen, hide the errors. If it is a small repair, that is still the best way to fix it, but you can use spackle over painted areas a bit for holes left by nails being removed etc. If this is not something you would want to handle yourself, then it would be a relatively small job for a painting or drywall contractor, or both. If you provide me with further information about the type of job it is, I can give you more specific recommendations. Thanks!-David
David L., Handyman
Experience: 22 Years experience. Have taught nearly every project to homeowners in the past as well as having done them myself.