Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I live in a nice community in Savannah, GA. We have lived

I live in a nice community in Savannah, GA. We have lived in this house for 13 1/2 years. I do not know how old our roof is, but it has not been worked on while we lived in the house. A contractor is putting metal roofs on houses on our street. The work looks great. He leaves the old shingles on. He says that they provide additional insulation. He has asked whether we want an estimate. I can pay cash for the work; so I would not have to go into debt. He says the metal roof saves money on fuel.

How long should a roof last? Is it logical to think that our roof that is at least 14 years old, and I think it could be much older, should be replaced? Is a metal roof a good option?
Welcome to Just Answer,

A typical asphalt shingle roof lasts at least 20 years. Some shingles are rated for up to 30 years. Metal roofs usually last longer than asphalt. They can save money on fuel but the fuel cost savings alone is not sufficient reason to replace the roof. My suggestion would be to wait until the roof needs to be replaced then consider replacing it with metal.