JimJML HOME IMP
JimJML HOME IMP, General Contractor
Experience:  I have over 12 years experience in General Building Construction
47598861

Hi I have a Porter Cable Brad Nailer Model BN200 18GA Seriel

Customer Question

Hi I have a Porter Cable Brad Nailer Model BN200 18GA Seriel NO. 031036 that will fire a brad but does not retract the Driver enough to allow another brad to load. I am near Calgary Alberta Canada and would like to know if this could be fixed with a top Maintenance Kit? If so, is there a place in or near Calgary where I can get the part, or get the nailer serviced if this part won't fix the problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JimJML HOME IMP replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Firstly make sure you pressure gauge on your air compressor is turned up enough for your brad nailer. I had a problem with my finish nailer and found after some investigating that my pressure was way to low for the nailer.

Secondly make sure the brads you are using are recommended for your nailer.

Lastly if those are not the issue I would guess that you have a busted seal or o-ring. and the maintenance kit is the way to go here is a schematic for your nail gun to help you replace the busted seal

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/pc/Parts%20Lists/20021115200000_BN200.pdf

If this answer helped you please remember to hit the green accept button.

Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using justAnswer.com.
Your powerhead is not cycling. Yes, it could be a bad O-ring but there is another possibility. If you let your air hose ends drag or lay on the ground/floor, debris gets in the hose & ends up in the powerhead. It can build up to a point that it will prevent the powerhead from cycling. I had this happen once. Now I am careful not to drag the open hose end on the ground.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answers. So far I have disassembled the nailer, cleaned the inside parts (not overly dirty), relubricated all of the parts with appropriate lubricants and carefully reassembled the gun. The "O" rings have a slight amount of wear on them but are not worn out or broken as I always oil the gun before and after using. The nails are the porter-Cable 18 ga. that I use. My air hose stays coiled in a holder when not in use. I also checked the pressure on my compressor, it was about 110 which is where I usually run it for this nailer.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Do you have any other ideas?

Even though you don't see signs of wear doesn't mean that there are none I would suggest replacing all the o-rings and reassembling the nail gun and see if that resolves your problem.
JimJML HOME IMP, General Contractor
Experience: I have over 12 years experience in General Building Construction