Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

hello how do i wire up a mig welder to home out let for the

hello how do i wire up a mig welder to home out let for the dryer what wire go where???????????
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Electric Doctor :

What voltage does the welder require? Is this a 220v unit? 120v unit? What does the plug on the new welder look like?

Customer :

no plug came with it got one from lowes that run my dryer the welder need 230 /v my out let should be 240/v

Customer :

three plugs

Electric Doctor :

Are you planning on using the dryer at the same time? Are are you going to unplug on to use the other? How man prongs does the dryer plug have?

Customer :

one at a time

Customer :

3

Customer :

and three wries no mig

Electric Doctor :

What color wires are in the cord for the welder? Also how many amps does the mig welder require? 20amps or 30amps?

Customer :

red white and black

Customer :

20amps

Electric Doctor :

What are the colors of the terminals on the new plug? Are they both gold terminals and one green? What about the amps required?

Electric Doctor :

Ok 20amps....

Customer :

gold

Customer :

all gold on plug

Electric Doctor :

Ok take the red and black wires and connect them to the two gold terminals on the outsides of the plug. Then you will have a terminal on the bottom center of the plug - should be green in color and that is where the green wire will go.

Customer :

the light comew on fan on but will not feed

Electric Doctor :

did you wire it the way I just stated?

Customer :

not yet

Electric Doctor :

Ok when you do let me know what happens.

Customer :

ok i will hook it up that way and give itb a go thanks

Electric Doctor :

ill stand by if you would like -

Customer :

ok i will try you way thanks

Electric Doctor :

Ok

Customer :

sorry the wires white green and black no red

Electric Doctor :

Ok then you will take the black and white wires and connect those to the outside gold terminals. Then the green wire to the bottom center terminal.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

ok that work thanks man you save the day

Electric Doctor :

No problem... Good luck on your welding project.

Customer :

ok

Inactive, Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------