MJ
MJ, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect, LEED® AP, NCARB Certified, M.Arch degree, 12+ years experience
13403057

What is a good adhesive to use for leather when it needs to

What is a good adhesive to use for leather when it needs to be heat resistant and will not be too damaging to the leather if it has to be removed later?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

A good heat resistant choice would be a neoprene-based adhesive, such as Clear-Tite. Here is a link: Clear-Tite

Unfortunately any sort of adhesive will tend to damage leather. At the least it will leave marks, and at worst it will pull the leather apart (if the adhesive is stronger than the tensile strength of the leather.)
The potential to leave marks is why leather items aren't even usually marked with adhesive price tags, inspection stickers, etc. directly on the leather itself.
Even the adhesive on scotch tape will mar leather.

If you are going to need to undo the connection later, you would be better off with a mechanical connection of some sort (i.e. sewing, lacing, buttoning, or otherwise connecting the leather) rather than using any sort of adhesive product on it.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will clear tite be capable of being pulled apart later, even if it affects the surface of the leather adversely? If so is there a preferred way to try to pull it apart? Is there no type of adhesive that is resistant to heat, but whose bond is not so impossible to be pulled apart later on? Something like goop for rubber and leather, is that heat resistant or any adhesives whose bond may be heat resistant but not totally permanent?

Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

I do not know of any adhesive that is both heat resistant and capable of being pulled apart later without pulling apart or badly marking leather.

The only solution I can think of would be to use the heat resistant adhesive to attach velcro to each of the pieces that need to be pulled apart later.

I'm not sure if you meant in your first post that the velcro you've tried is not heat resistant itself, or if you meant that the velcro's adhesive isn't heat resistant.

If you meant that the velcro's adhesive isn't heat resistant, then using non-adhesive velcro, and attaching it with a neoprene-based adhesive should work.

If you meant that the velcro itself isn't heat resistant, then I'd suggest trying a velcro of the quality that is used in commercial applications - for instance to attach wall signage in earthquake-prone regions. That type of velcro should certainly be expected to withstand any reasonable amount of heat - though you haven't explained your project, so I don't know what temperature range you're trying to resist...

Of course, this will only let you separate one item with the velcro attached from another item with velcro attached - it will not let you separate the velcro itself from each item once you glue on the velcro.

Again, once you glue anything to leather, with any sort of adhesive, you're going to mark the leather at a minimum, and you may end up ripping the leather if you try to remove the glued item(s).
If you need to connect two leather items to each other and disconnect them later, with no damage, you need to use a mechanical connection of some sort, not an adhesive bond.

I hope this information is helpful and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I am paid in any way for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 8/18/2010 at 3:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe I should have explained what I am trying to do. I have a foam pad with a vinyl cover, it weighs almost nothing, its 4 inches by 12 inches, I want to use it as a back support and attach it to my leather car seat. I sewed two velcro strips to the vinyl pad cover and, using the sticky backing that comes on the velcro strips, attached two velcro strips to the back of my leather car seat. When the inside of the car gets real hot the velcro strips attached to the leather car seat fall off. I was looking for an adhesive that is somewhat heat resistant, but not so permanent that it would be impossible to move or remove later on if necessary. I am okay if it marks the leather upon moving or removing, I just wanted something not totally permanent, if I can still get that in something heat resistant enough for the temperature inside a hot car. Is something like goop for rubber and leather, heat resistent at all and not totally permanent? -- Ken
Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, the adhesive on stick-on velcro isn't designed to hold up to the heat of a hot car in summer.
As I mentioned, there are industrial-strength velcro products that are designed to permanently stick to walls and such, but I think those will not release from your leather seat without damaging it!

One thing you could try is "U-Glu", which is one of those "as seen on TV" wonder products: UGlu
It does have good sticking power, especially on something as light as what you're describing, and it can be removed by stretching it (it will probably leave a mark, but wouldn't be expected to tear the leather.)
I'm not 100% sure it will hold up to the heat of the car either, but it's worth a shot.

Another expert suggested trying a silicone temporary adhesive - it should allow you to remove the velcro and silicone as one piece (it is stretchy, like the UGlu product above.)

Anything else I can think of is just not likely to be removable.
The only other ideas I can suggest would be to design some ties for the back support, so that you could tie it over the top of the seat at the headrest, and around the back of the seat.
Or, design a pillow case like top to the back support, so that it could be slipped over the seat back and stay in place that way.

I do hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 8/18/2010 at 9:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume you think the uglu would be better than regular double sided tape? Are there any obvious problems with regular double sided tape for what I am trying to do? --Ken
Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Double-sided tape doesn't tend to hold up well on fabrics or soft, upholstered items. It tends to pull off a fine layer of "lint" from the fabric or leather surface, and once this covers up the whole sticky surface fairly uniformly, it destroys the tape's sticking abiliity.

Also, double-sided tape is not likely to hold up well in this situation, where the backrest will have regular up-and-down movement from friction, in a direction lateral to the surface of the tape. This tends to make the tape roll up or twist off the fabric.

There's no harm in trying it (other than adhesive marks on the leather, but you mentioned that doesn't matter), but I don't think it will last.
Also, regular double-stick tape is not particularly heat resistant. The adhesive on tape turns gummy and smeary in extreme heat.

The idea behind UGlu is to combine the "convenience of tape" with a much stronger adhesive. Sticking to leather is one of its stated purposes.
UGlu appears to be formulated in part with silicone.
Another expert suggested to me that a silicone product would be the best bet, as it is extremely stretchy in conjunction with sticky.

I really think that you would be best off with another type of connection (Could you sew, or have somebody sew, a strip of non-adhesive backed velcro to your seat back with strong upholstery thread?)
But, if you are opposed to any other solution, I tend to think UGlu has a better chance than double-stick tape. This may take some experimentation on your part to confirm.

I do hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click ACCEPT as this is the only way that I can be paid for my time and answer through JustAnswer.
(Even if you are on a subscription plan or free trial, you must still click "ACCEPT" for your experts to be paid.)
Thank you

Edited by MJ on 8/18/2010 at 11:36 PM EST
MJ, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect, LEED® AP, NCARB Certified, M.Arch degree, 12+ years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all your help. I will go experiment. Ken
Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the accept, and best of luck with the project.