Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

I have a Genie garage door opener that goes up but not dow

Customer Question

I have a Genie garage door opener that goes up but not down.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 6 years ago.
Not going down is the units safety operation in case something (perhaps a child) was under where the door comes down. Going up there is no issue so the sensors allow it. When I say "sensors" I'm referring to the black boxes at the bottom and on each side of the overhead door. They are either misaligned or obstructed. Obstruction could even be dirt in one of the eyes. ... Dennis (cut2it)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This garage door does not have those sensors. It is too old.
Okay, then the next suspicious thing would be "friction." Disconnect the operating chain so you can operate the door manually. Starting at the top slowly lower the door paying close attention to the "friction feel" of the rollers. When or if you feel a slight drag stop and investigate both tracks where the bottom rollers would have just started touching. Up and down motion of the door could help focus on this area. If you do come across this area of extra friction you will need to lubricate or even tighten the track at all attachments. In fact the door panel hinges should also be checked and tightened. Use silicone spray for the rollers and WD40 for hinges. If doing this does not solve the problem it is probably the limit switch on the channel from the overhead motor to the front of the garage .. This is usually just a strip or piece of metal that gets in the way as the door goes up and down and signals the motor to shut off. It may have slipped from the location it is supposed to be. The next thing(s) to do are not for a DIY person. You will need to call in a repair person.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answer did not solve the problem.
Please notice that in my last message I indicated that if those items did not solve the problem you would need to call in a repair person. What is needed is not a Do It Yourself type of repair. .... Dennis