MJ
MJ, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect, LEED® AP, NCARB Certified, M.Arch degree, 12+ years experience
13403057

how can you fix a small cigarette burn on a Microfiber/polyester

Customer Question

how can you fix a small cigarette burn on a Microfiber/polyester couch cushion?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MJ replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

Since the couch is fabric (microfiber), you need to patch the burn hole with a small piece of the same fabric from the couch.
Unfortunately the type of kits that are sold at Home Depot are for fixing vinyl-coated/naugahyde type materials, and are not appropriate for microfiber.
The iron-on type of patches that are sold in fabric and craft stores also aren't usually effective on couches unless the burn is on an areas of the couch that receives very little stress (if it's on a seating cushion it just will not hold up to the use and stresses that the furniture will receive.)

Here is the most effective way to repair a burn hole in microfiber:

You will need:
Fabric glue - the clear kind
"Fray Check" - you can get this at any fabric store
A small piece of sturdy but thin woven fabric
Aluminum foil
A tiny scrap of fabric from an inconspicous area of your couch (for instance from the inside of a hem, or from the bottom of the couch if the couch fabric turns under there, or from the inside hem of a matching throw pillow).

1. Cut the small piece of woven fabric so that it is about 1.5 inches larger in diamter than the burn hole. Put fabric glue on the top surface of the scrap of woven fabric. Now put this fabric on the back side of the burn hole. This fabric will reinforce the burn hole, and also provide a suface to glue the little couch patch to.

2. Put a little piece of aluminum foil over the burn hole, and press/smooth your fingers over it so that the shape of the hole shows up as an indentation in the foil. This is so that you can cut this tiny shape out of the foil and use it as your pattern for cutting out the replacement patch.

3. Cut out the little foil pattern, and use it to cut out a little patch out of the tiny piece of matching couch fabric that you harvested from some inconspicuous area of the couch. You may need to stick the foil to the fabric temporarily with water-based glue or a tin bit of double-stick tape. Use sharp, small scissors to cut out a patch from the fabric. If the couch fabric has any pattern, plaid, or design on it make sure to try to cut the patch from an area that matches the burned area exactly.

4. Put Fray Check around all of the edges of the little patch, and let it dry thoroughly.

5. Use fabric glue to glue the patch to the burned area, on top of the woven reinforcing patch.

The above method is the most inconspicuous on fabrics that have some texture or pattern to them, as the texture and/or pattern helps to disguise the borders of the patch. If your couch is a solid color and a smooth fabric then the patch will not be invisible. If the hole is bigger than a pencil eraser, or if it is in a very conpicuous place on a smooth, solid colored couch, then you may be better off considering calling in an uphostery repair professional, who can in some cases reweave the area - though this is expensive.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is how I get paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Feel free to ask additional related questions.