MJ, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect, LEED® AP, NCARB Certified, M.Arch degree, 12+ years experience

Robella Palm How often do they get watered Can we use the

Robella Palm How often do they get watered? Can we use the Water globes with the stems going into the pot (self watering). How often are they fed and what type of fertilize
do we use. There are five plants in one big pot and one looks like it is dieing as new growth has turn brown and looks brittle. They get partial sunlight and get turned every day. The tips of the leaves turn black and yellow shows through out the leaves. It was given to as a gift without instructions and I get different answers from the 2 nurseries we have in town. Than You
Delores Koerner [email protected]
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MJ replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

I will need a little more information to answer this question:
You asked about "Robella Palm".
Is there any chance that you mean Robellini Palms? (This is a type of small palm tree)
Or are you asking about Robella (otherwise known as "English Daisy", which are not palms, but perennial flowers with salmon-colored blooms and dark XXXXX, XXXXX-shaped leaves?)

Thank you in advance for this information, as it will help in providing the answer that you need.

Edited by MJ on 5/30/2010 at 3:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is a Robellini Palm.
Expert:  MJ replied 6 years ago.
Great. Thank you for getting back to me.

Robellini palms need to be watered regularly, but they're also very sensitive to too much watering, and can't be kept in continuously water-logged soil, as it will cause the roots to rot.
The glass globe-type waterers work by keeping the soil continuously saturated - so these are not ideal for this type of plant.

When they are grown in pots it is important that they be in the types of pots with one or more drainage holes.
The soil mixture should be: one part potting soil, one part peat moss, and one part vermiculite.
You should give the Robellini palms a good commercial fertilizer - preferably one indicated specifically for palms, of a "timed release" formula. Follow the product manufacturer's directions for use, but do not put the fertilizer in direct contact with the palms' trunks. These palms should not be pruned - it's important not to remove live leaves.

When grown in containers, these palms may need watering every other day, or possibly more frequently. If the surface of the soil is completely dry and crumbly to the touch then the plant should be watered. Water around the base of the tree, near the trunk, until the surface of the soil is saturated, but don't continue watering if water is pooling on the surface of the soil. Do not water again until the surface of the soil feels dry to the touch again.
If you have just transplanted the palm it should be watered once a day for the first 2 or 3 weeks after transplantation, but after that it may not need to be watered as frequently. Do not water during the hottest part of the day, or when the plant is in direct sun (morning or evening are better times for watering).

This is a plant that loves sunshine, so it should be placed in an area that gets several hours of direct sun each day. It sounds as though your palms may not be getting an optimal amount of light on a regular basis.
They could be located outdoors if your are in a warm climate, or moved in and out each day during warm weather (a rolling plant stand is useful for this).

If they thrive, these palms can eventually grow to 8 feet tall or more, and can have crowns 8 feet or more in diameter - though when grown in containers and kept indoors at least part of the time they are unlikely to reach this size.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my time and answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 6/1/2010 at 12:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to ask, why does the tips of my robeilli palm turn black and can the black be trimmed off. This is a supplement to: #598686-263. Thank you
Delores Koerner.
Expert:  MJ replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up question.

Tips of palm leaves turn yellow or black when the tree is getting too much water - sometimes in conjunction with too little sunlight - or when the roots remain waterlogged due to a lack of drainage in the plant's container.

Make sure that your palm is in a pot with drainage holes, and that the soil is close to the mix that I recommended in my first answer above.
Do not water the palm until the surface of the soil feels dry to the touch.

You can trim off the black or yellow parts of the leaves with scissors or pruning tools. But do not take off whole leaves if only the tips are black or yellow.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that can be compensated through JustAnswer. This just allows a portion of your deposit to be transferred to me, and clicking "ACCEPT" will not cause you to be charged anything in addition to your deposit.
The question will not close because you click "ACCEPT", and you will still be able to post any follow up questions.
Thank you.