Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

My hardwood floors have a cloudy film on them. What can I use

Customer Question

My hardwood floors have a cloudy film on them. What can I use to clean the floors to take this film off and give them a pretty shine?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
What do you use on them, wax?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have used Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner and then I have also used Vinagar and water. About a year ago my housecleaner accidently cleaned them with Clorox Clean Up and they developed this film, but after cleaning them multiple times with vinagar and water and then the Bona the film went away, but it is back now.
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the delay for an answer. I was thinking about your question and what is realistic for wood floor care. If you have a urethane floor finish you want to stay away from lye based or ammonia or bleach based cleaners.The ideal way to take care of wood floors with a urethane finish is to sweep or vacuum high traffic areas daily. In a perfect world they should be dust mopped daily. The dust mop can be treated with a dust mop spray, something like "Misty". It is important to follow the label instructions for application of the treatment to the dust mop. As for a cleaner I like Murphy's Oil Soap. It is a vegetable based cleaner for floors or furniture. Again, follow label directions. You do not want to use a soaking wet mop. It needs to be just damp. If you have a great deal of build up you may want to do multiple moppings, allowing it to dry in between. If there is a film build up from what ever has been used on the floor this should clean off any residue. Once clean of film, the thing to do from here out is to utilize the same treatment to keep dirt off of the floor. I have wood floors refinished 13 years ago with a urethane finish that has used this procedure, not dust mopped daily but weekly, and damp mopped on the traffic areas and they floor is as nice as when it was first finished. It is not overly mopped. If the floor finish is scratched in the high traffic areas you can have a floor re finisher come in and do a screening on the finish to prepare it for another coat of finish. This will put the shine back to the floor and will not be near the cost of a complete sand down, stain and refinish. If you have questions please let me know. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.