Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Why does my gas fireplace go out after only a few minutes of

Why does my gas fireplace go out after only a few minutes of running? I have replaced the valve, the thermopile and over temp sensor. It starts up fine, runs for about 5-10 minutes than compeltely shuts off...pilot and all.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
You may have an over temp device that is shutting it down. These devices are installed to shut down a unit if it gets too hot. It's possible that (if this is the problem) the device may be faulty and is shutting it down when there is no hazard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have replaced the over temp sensor. Also, when the flame goes out, I am able to place my hand on the area where it's located and since I can touch it without getting burned, it's not too hot.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
What controls the fireplace? Is it just on or off? does it have a remote? If the unit has any control device try jumping it out at the gas valve and see if the problem persists
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has a simple on/off switch...I am unable to turn it on again until I re-light the pilot light.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Try relighting the pilot and jump out the switch at the gas valve and see what happens.

Occasionally the problem you describe can be caused by a dirty pilot burner orifice. This could cause the pilot to go out and subsequently shut down everything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sounds like a reasonable root cause. I wonder why the pilot light can be lit and run OK but that when the flames are on, a dirty orifice would prove more of a problem when the flame is on than when it's off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any thoughts on an explantion of this behavior?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
If there is a piece of dirt or dust floating around in the line it can cause a real headache. One other possibility is if a stray flame from the main burner is hitting the thermopile. This has happened to me a couple times and it drove me nuts.
The thermopile must maintain a cold junction below the top 1/4 of the tip that is in the pilot flame. If the lower 3/4's to 2/3's gets hot it will shut everything down. This cause, although rare, is a possible culprit.
Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK...thanks...that should provide me enough information to troubleshoot the problem. I didn't know the thermopile needed to have that temerapture difference.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Thank for using Just Answer