Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.

What would cause mold in the corners of my walls and ceiling

What would cause mold in the corners of my walls and ceiling and why do my windows sweat so much? What can I do to fix it? I've been told poor circulation in the house so we put vents in the roof when we redid the shingles and it didnt help at all.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 6 years ago.

Your problem stems from the indoor humidity being too high. Many things in your home contribute to this problem. Such things as not running the bathroom exhaust fan at least 15 to 20 minutes after each shower or bath, dishwasher opened too soon, same for washing machine, dryer venting not doing a good job, Some furnaces contribute humidity and boiler systems with radiators also. When warm moist air come in contact with a colder surface (particularly glass in windows) there will definitely be condensation (sweating) created. Reverse, but same result, is taking a cold bottle from the refrigerator in the summer. The bottle quickly beads up with condensation. Besides checking on all of the above possibilities you might consider purchasing an inexpensive hygrometer. Just like a thermometer but measures humidity. You'd like you home in the winter around 40 to 45 degrees. It might be necessary to purchase a de-humidifier. They are not very expensive and the benefit would be well worth the cost.

Dennis (cut2it)