Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

why are my chimney bricks wet in the attic

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
The most likely cause is the chimney flashing has failed and water is leaking in from the roof. Another less likely but much more serious cause is a chimney flue that is too big for your heating equipment and the exhaust is condensing and eating away at the chimney.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The flashing has been replaced all the way around the chimney. There were damaged wood which was replaced. I noticed that the brick were wet around the entire chimney. Maybe more damp than wet. I was wondering if it could be the cap?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
If the flashing is not the issue a sound uncapped chimney shouldn't let water migrate from the inside to outside. If the chimney is unlined you could have a problem with too large a flue. What is venting into this chimney?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fireplace is not being used. I just replaced the flashing as I said and we just had our first rain and when I checked in the attic I found that the bricks were moist. I just couldn't understant why they were wet all the way around. I'm a retired commerical builder and have flashed before. It is just puzzling to me.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
If the chimney is unlined it's possible for the water to migrate through the brick in a driving rain