Ask Lavallee Home & Property Services...
Lavallee Home & Property Services
Lavallee Home & Property Services, Handyman
Experience:  Home Improvement Expert, 12 years in the field
28960771

replaced GFCI outlet, still not working, need help please

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Lavallee Home & Property Services replied 6 years ago.
First, is there power to the outlet? Second, how is it wired - is it in series or at the end of a run? Have you set the trip button?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1) I assume there is power. It went out yesterday when my daughter was blow drying her hair. All outlets in the upper level bathrooms are now out. I hooked up the 2 black wires to the 2 brass screws and the 2 white wires to the 2 silver screws. Also connected the ground wire. The yellow test light is working but it will not reset.

It sounds like the wires are hooked up wrong. You need to determine which black & white pair of wires is the line (power from the fuse panel/breaker box) and attach them to the screws labeled Line. Black to the brass screw & white to the silver screw. Then the other pair of black & white wires would be the load and need to be put on the screws labeled load, black to brass and white to silver.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually the white wires come out of the wall right next to each other, a pair so to speak. Same for the black wires. There is no pair of black and white. What's the best way to determine the line vs the load? I have a voltage meter with black and red test leads, but not 100% sure how to use it.

Not all voltage meters will work on 120v. You can go to a Home Depot or similar and get anIdeal Vol-Test Voltage Tester Model # XXXXX Store SKU # XXXXX for about $20. This will let you determine the correct pair for line & load.

The other tester you can get is

Gardner Bender Ground Fault Indicator Tester; 1/Cd, 10Cds/Master

Model # XXXXX
Store SKU # XXXXX

You would plug this in to the outlet and you then would move the wires from one screw to the other to get the correct combination.

If you have any questions with completing this just let me know