Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

upvc front door. seals draughty, tight on lock side slack/gap

Customer Question

upvc front door. seals draughty, tight on lock side slack/gap on hinge side. bottom screw top and botXXXXX XXXXXfts the door, if i adjust the middle hinge(3) screw how does the door set square as the top and bottom will still be out, do I change the packing bits on each hinge
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

It is common these days for the wood used for jambs to be too soft to hold a screw against the forces imposed by a heavy door. Solution is to screw through the jamb into the stud framing behind it. Use 3 or 3.5 inch deck screws. You can literally adjust the set of the door with these by backing them off, 1/4 turn at a time, or screwing them further in. They will take the frame with them. This can not be done with factory 3/4 screws as they have no effect on the jamb.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Many thanks for your answer but mine is a UPVC door, the door jamb it bolted with eight mm galvanized machine screws to 6 mm angle iron, three inch angle iron. The door frame has not moved or come adrift. The distance from the door frame to the door, has a 2mm gap only on the hinge side in between the frame and the door where the seal fits. the door will not come in closer unless I replace the packing pieces, which were factory fitted. There is no way the door will come closer on the seals, but to replace the seals or replace the packing strips, with a narrower gauge packer. Which I may do when the weather gets warmer as the door hinges will have to come off, after I get new packing pieces or seals. To me the fault is the packing bits that require changing or new seal. The door is just over twelve months old. And was fitted by a UPVC door manufacturer, along with my new porch. To me this is a DIY job, and I said will be done when the weather gets warmer. ie, if I took the whole door out and frame, I still have the gap in between the door and the seal, if you see what I mean. Anyway thanks for trying.