plumber171, Plumber
Experience:  plumbing and construction

Want to use an old gas light on a pole in the front yard. Have

Customer Question

Want to use an old gas light on a pole in the front yard. Have taken it apart and put in new mantles, nnew glass inserts, cleaned the visible connections etc. There is gas coming in at the base of the pole when you turn on the little valve, but we can't make the lamp light. Ideas?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  plumber171 replied 6 years ago.

i just put nat gas lanterns in the front of a customers house

for a lantern you need air flow ( verry important ) and to ignite it you need to get a glass drill bit and drill a hole at the base of the glass after all is said and done get thoes long BBQ matches and light it up

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a very weird answer. Why woud I have to use a drill bit and drill through the glass to light the mantles?. The glass just lifts up and that is how you are supposed to light it. My problem is that it won't light since the gas is not getting to the apparatus for some reason as I mentioned in my question. Did the manufacturer of the gas light you put in tell you to do this drill through the glass thing? I just talked to a guy who installs furnaes, gas fireplaces and gas lights and he was aghast at your answer. Where did you get the idea to drill through the glass? Did your lanterns not have a way to lift or remove the glass???
no mine did not in fact they were antque lanterns and i specialy made them to work for his needs. thats how i took your question when you made the old statement. but now understanding you slightly better it sounds like the line is cloged mostlikly with inscet matter or the such
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
"Expert" did not read my question. Answered very incompetent. Asked a plumber I know and h said answer was really stupid,