Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

How high does a railing have to be off an exterior deck on

How high does a railing have to be off an exterior deck on single family home?

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Railings are required to be 36 inches when the deck is more than 30 inches off grade. Second floor and higher, the railings have to be 42 inches. Don't forget that the baulisters nedd to be such that a 4" sphere(babys head) can not pass through.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.