Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

how do I safely remove a redwood burl from base of tree

how do I safely remove a redwood burl from base of tree?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
Hello .. can you tell me how big this burl is .. and what your thoughts are regarding the burl .. is your concern for the tree, the burl, or both ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Burl is located near the base of the tree, is approximately 4 feet diameter and three feet high (a large mound ). Primary concern is for the tree.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
Hi .. a burl is not necessarily detrimental to the life of the tree .. it is a malformation on the growth , but typically thye growing layer of the tree has grown around the deformation and is suipplying the tree with nutrients despite the large bump .. are you concerned thjat this is hurting bthe tree .. what is happening with it .. ?? as a side the burl typically has a grain patern that forms a natural bowl ,, because of thye way it grows around in that shape .. I would think that a redwood burl of that size could have some monetary value to it .. they are sometimes turned to make bowls, sometimes carved as decorative pieces .. mostly prized for the very unique grain the have ..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The burl is in a location that we wish to use. My question is how to remove it without hurting the tree.
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
OK .. a smaller burl can simply be cut off and the tree will eventually heal the scar .. like it has grown over the burl .. but one this size would be taking a great deal of living layer from the tree and I would be uncertain about its result .. if youbtruelly wish to remove the growth you might consider trimming it a bit at a time and letting the tree recover and grow back over the remover area .. I think with a burl yhis size that it would be worth getting the opinion of a tree specialist that may be familiar with the redwood and its growth paterns