Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I need to build 1 step off my deck and I cannot remember how

I need to build 1 step off my deck and I cannot remember how my dad showed me how to measure with a building square, the rise and run of the steps. Can you help me?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />If you only need one step then you don't need a framing square to cut stair stringers. But the process is pretty simple; say you want stairs with a tread of 11" and a rise of 7", you hold the 11" measure on the edge or your 2 x 12 with the 90 degree angle laid on and pointing in to the 2 x 12 then place the 7" measure on the other leg of the square on the same edge of the 2 x 12 further along. Then trace along both legs of .the outside edge of the square You repeat this process until you have enough riser to get the job done. The top is cut straight acroos so it will be parallel with the floor and the bottom is cut paralell to the first tread down the distance (7" in this case) of the riser.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That gives me some idea of how to use the square and fix some other steps I mis measured about 20 years ago in addition to the one I have to make now. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Hank Rutland
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer
Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.