Larry W
Larry W, Handyman
Experience:  30 year owner of remodeling business. Tile, carpentry,paint, electrical and plumbing
14628130

How do I remove an older Kwikset deadbolt lock from the door

Customer Question

How do I remove an older Kwikset deadbolt lock from the door? No one has the key, so it is in locked position. Already have the 2 screws removed, but it won't budge. Thanks.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Larry W replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

You should be able to remove the dead bolt after the screws are removed. Some deadbolts have two screws that hold the inside back plate only and are screwed into the screws that hold the outside mechanism in place. Check to see if this is the case, then remove these screws. Another problem may be the plate may be stuck to the finish of the door. If this is the case then tap the lock to see if it will come off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So there might be 2 screws on the outside in addition to the two inside screws. And true, the outside casing is painted-over and stuck to the door that way. I'll pry that off and see if I can find the additional screws. We'll get back into it later today. Keep ypu posted. Thanks.
Expert:  Larry W replied 7 years ago.
OK you should be able to remove it.