Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

HOW DO I INSTALL A FLAT RUBBER ROOF ON A 8X10 SHED WITH 3/4

HOW DO I INSTALL A FLAT RUBBER ROOF ON A 8X10 SHED WITH 3/4 PLYWOOD AS A SUB BASE. I HAVE A PIECE OF RUBBER LARGE ENOUGH TO FIT THE ROOF. DO I NEED DRIP EDGE AND DOES THE RUBBER GO UNDER OR OVER IT? CAN I ELIMINATE THE DRIP EDGE AND PULL THE RUBBER OVER THE SIDES AND FASTEN IT? I WAS TOLD IT HAS TO BE GLUED? DO I NEED ANYTHING ON TOP OF THE PLYWOOD FIRST? WHAT HAPPENS IF IT IS NOT GLUED? THANK YOU, DON
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />You need underlayment insulation designed for rubber roofs on top of the plywood. Without it the nails and seams in the ply will chaffe a hole in the rubber over time. You need drip edge around the perimeter. The rubber is glued to the top of the drip edge. No you can't eliminate the drip edge. You don't glue the entire rubber surface only the edges.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
RICK, THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER. DO I NEED SPECIAL GLUE? HOW DOES THE INSULATION GET FASTENED TO THE PLYWOOD.? I HAVE NEVER DONE A RUBBER ROOF BEFORE AND EVERYBODY IS OFFERING ALL KINDS OF ADVICE WHICH IS WHY I DECIDED TO ASK AN EXPERT. CAN YOU BRIEFLY RUN ME THRU THE PROCESS FROM START TO FINISH? I HAD A ROOFER GIVE ME A PRICE OF $800.00. IT DIDN'T COST ME THAT MUCH TO BUILD THE SHED. I HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO IT ONCE I KNOW HOW TO DO IT. THANK YOU DON
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
You need glue specially made for rubber roofing. Many lumber yards carry everything you need including the drip edge and insulation and can answer your questions regarding their product line including fastening. Assuming the shed is free standing; you first lay down the insulation then cut and fit your flashing around the perimeter laying it on top of the insulation then lay down your rubber, cut it to fit and glue the edges.